Thursday, August 5, 2010

Treasure

While on our recent trip to visit family in Seattle, my Father-In-Law let it be known that there was treasure in his garage.  That's right, treasure.  I knew that he had been a teacher of visual arts for many many years but what I didn't know is that when his school district closed down the letterpress printing program he was able to rescue the print blocks and now had them stashed away in his garage.

Then he took me to see them.  My jaw hit the floor.  In a dusty corner lay hundreds of metal and wood print blocks.  You know how in the movies, whenever they open a treasure chest, a light magically appears from the depths of the chest?  It was like that.  Really.  Ok, not really, but they were pretty cool!

As I wiped the drool from my chin I heard him say, "If you can use them in your art you're welcome to have them."  Wow! I felt like I'd just won the lottery.  Really.  Ok, not really, but I was pretty excited!

I took a few pictures to show you some of them. :-)

Thank you, Mike!! You're the best!!




10 comments:

  1. OMG! This is, indeed, a treasure trove!!! Holy Cow, Amy, you hit the jackpot!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine the postal man having to deliver these tiny boxes loaded with lead, copper and wood... probably on medical leave after that stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap what an amazing find! Lucky you, congrats on your awesome windfall! Am so very jealous! I especially like those art nouveau border blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally jealous! They are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super gorgeous treasures..the best kind! I have been enjoying your posts and looking at all your beautiful work! Lovely blog!!
    Have a sparkling day!
    Victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a treasure. My jaw would have hit the floor too. What a special find and sweet father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After looking at the pieces close up I am so jealous. You are one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That is an amazing story and find! I love the ship one. Everyone should have a father-in-law with hidden treasures like that,lol!
    By the way...so happy I found you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a treasure trove! You are a lucky gal, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...